Tuesday, August 7, 2007

My Insomnia

My insomnia is back. It is a terrible feeling of tossing around all the time, being tired physically, but your mind keeps working and you just can't fall asleep. I tried to clear my mind and not to think of anything, counting till 100, counting sheep, stars- nothing works. So I decided to get my book "Essential Guide to Pregnancy and Birth" and read what I can do. They have few good things that I can do to help me to sleep better. So I just wanted to share some of them here. I think these tips are not only good for those who are pregnant, but for any person who has insomnia. I am going to follow these tips starting from today and see if they really help.

Tips to sleep better:
  • Keep to a regular bedtime and morning wake- up time. And try not to nap too late in the day. Well, this is going to be hard, cause when I have insomnia I usually nap late daytime. As well as it is hard to keep a regular bedtime and morning wake. It is all depends from different things, if I have something to do that day, or just can relax and etc.
  • Cut down on caffeine consumption, and avoid it altogether in the late afternoon. Well, I don't drink any coffee at all since I got pregnant (mmmm, I miss it though:() and some tea. Mostly at night I drink milk or skim milk.
  • Avoid heavy, spicy meals before bedtime, and drink more fluids during the day and less in the late afternoon and evening. I don't eat spicy meals at all. It makes me sick. The heaviest thing that I eat during evening can be some fruit or vegetable. Well, I can't live without water though. I drink a lot of it always. It is just so hot not to.:(
  • Get some massage by your partner or warm bath.
  • Don't exercise or do any housework closer to sleep time.
  • Make sure your bedroom is conductive to sleep. Well, it is hot, so it is not exactly conductive, I guess. As well as I have become very sensitive to any sounds.
  • Stop watching the clock. I do this all the time when I try to sleep. I don't know why. I keep looking at the time and then think, man, it is so late already and I am not sleeping yet.:)
  • If you aren't asleep 20 minutes after climbing into bed, get up and go to another room. Read a magazine or listen to music until you feel drowsy; then go back to bed. I think I should try this...
So these are the tips. I hope they will help me as well as whoever has the same problems I do with insomnia.


1 comments:

Amel said...

Hi, Nika, hopefully the tips help you. It can be torturing not to be able to sleep.