Saturday, August 25, 2007

Preeclampsia

I would like to raise issue here about Preeclampsia, a potentially serious condition. Credit goes to The Book “Essential Guide to Pregnancy and Birth” Preeclampsia also knows as “toxemia”. It characterized by high blood pressure and protein in your urine. Preeclampsia causes your blood vessels to constrict, decreasing blood flow to many of your organs. This can lead to a host of symptoms (See Below) and in severe cases, serious complications, including seizures, stroke and renal failure. What sucks about this condition is that the only “cure” is to deliver your baby.

Possible Signs of Preeclampsia:

- Swelling in your face or puffiness around your eyes, more than slight swelling of your hands, excessive or sudden swelling of your feet or ankles, or rapid weight gains (more than 4 pounds a week).

- Severe or persistent headaches.

- Visions changes, including double vision, blurriness, seeing spots or flashing lights, light sensitivity, or temporary loss of vision.

- Intense pain or tenderness in your upper abdomen.

- Nausea or vomiting.

So if you have some of these symptoms, contact your doctor, just in case. Thank God I seem not having this condition. But I know a woman, who is my neighbor, she has a terrible swelling of her feet. It is unbelievable. However swelling can be caused as well of not a proper functioning of your kidneys. So pregnant women have to pay a lot of attention to this. By the way watermelon really helps to make your kidneys work better. And did you know that your right kidney actually gets a bit bigger than your left one when you are pregnant? I didn’t know that until I made an ultrasound of my kidneys when I just got to know that I am expecting. It is a usual condition to have during pregnancy, so don’t get scared if your right kidney is a bit bigger than the right one.:) And PLUS, if you pee a lot, it is good!!!:)

2 comments:

Amel said...

THANKS for sharing the info!!! Would be useful for me in the future he he he...

~Denise~ said...

Another great resource for information on preeclampsia is the Preeclampsia Foundation. www.preeclampsia.org I had severe pre-e with my first child and PIH with the second.

I wish you well with the remainder of your pregnancy!