Monday, July 23, 2007

Baby And Nutrition During Third Trimester

I am doing good so far, though now I cannot walk without a special bandage around my tummy. When I take it off, I feel like my belly is pulling me down. Believe me, not the best feeling you can ever experience. Our baby is growing rapidly and thus makes me worry about my weight gain. I weighed myself today and so far during all 30 weeks I have gained about 13 pounds. I don't think it is too much, but I don't want to gain anymore than this.

The reason is not that I am worried that I won't be able to loose weight, but I am more worried because I am going to have a natural birth and I think it is better if I gain as little as possible. However, don't get me wrong I am not going to starve myself. Just will eat smarter and healthier. I already try not to eat too much of bread or sweets. My doctor said that the following nutritions are very important right now:

  • Calcium and Vitamin D. Since baby's bones are developing, I would need extra calcium. Total of the day portion is 1.000 milligrams. Check!!! I do take every day about this amount of calcium. Personally, I have very weak bones. I remember when I had just started at my university and was only into one week of my studies, I was coming down the stairs in a pair of tennis shoes. Right at the last step I put my left foot in a bad position and.... I broke foot. I still can't understand how the heck did I do that? This foot never healed properly and I can never run or do some exercises with it too much. So, I am making sure our baby gets enough calcium. Vitamin D. We actually get this from the sun and 15 minutes a day is enough but as a supplement of the sun; milk, fish, and fortified cereal will do well. It is funny, I hated milk and everything dairy before I got pregnant, NOW, I can't get enough of it. You never know what pregnancy can do to your body... and your tastes...
  • Iron. I think I have it enough in my Centrum vitamins, since this mineral is very important for my growing baby and the placenta that nourishes him.
  • Fat. Weird huh? But baby needs it too. Since baby's brain and vision will undergo a big developmental spurt this trimester, fat is very essential. I need 1.4 milligrams of omega. Well, personally, I don't like fat. But oh well, what wouldn't you do for your little baby? Good sources of fat are fish, walnuts, flaxseed, canola oil, and dark leafy greens such as kale. Man, I don't like fish nor walnuts. :( Yeah, yeah... I know, I have to eat them! Again, everything is for our little boy to be healthy...
  • Protein. I need to eat at least 71 grams a day. A lot of protein, as far as I know is in meat, right? And OF COURSE once I got pregnant, I stopped liking meat. But I still eat a small piece of chicken or beef every day. I am actually being forced to eat it!!! You don't really want to argue with my momma, when she says that I HAVE to eat it.
  • Water. Oh yes, I drink lots and lots of water and I am loving it, especially now when it is so hot! But, it is weird, that people have different views about water. I met like two women who said... God, no, don't drink too much water, it is bad.... Hmmm, ok... how is it bad exactly? You should eat more... Yeah, right, so that my baby will be like 15 pounds and I won't be able to deliver him? Hmmmm.... let me think!!! No, thank you very much!
  • Vitamin C. This nutrient is important for tissue repair and can aid my recovery after giving birth. I have to have 85 milligrams a day. I actually get 90 of it. Nice!!!
  • And the last, but not the least. Folic Acid. My body and baby need folic acid to produce and repair DNA and allow it to function. It is also important for the production of red blood cells. I should get 600 micrograms a day. I actually get 400. Need to increase my dosage!!!
So it is all good and I feel great, cause I just took a nap. Now I just require having a nap during the daytime. I always remind myself, take a nap and sleep as much as you can, cause soon... you won't have this luxury. Well, that's it for now.:d

Thank you so much to everyone who reads my blog and comments.